So you’ve just bought a shiny new Kindle Paperwhite and can’t be bothered to read the 40+ page manual on getting up and running? This article is definitely for you. It’ll give you enough fundamentals to get you competent on the majority of basic tasks. I’ve also a link to the full manual at the bottom of the article.
Getting onto the wifi so you can get going
You will need a wifi connection in order to set up your Amazon Kindle account set up and link your device to Amazon.
- Press the menu button
- Select turn wifi on
- Then enter the settings menu
- Select Wifi networks
- Find the network you wish to join and select join
- You’ll need the password for the network if it’s password
Then you’re connected! Once connected you’ll be able to download books, browse the web and so much more. The first thing you’ll need to do is register your device so that Amazon knows where to download Ebooks to once you have purchased them.
How to buy EBooks
There are basically two methods to purchase EBooks; from the Amazon Website or on the device itself. My personal preference is to use the site as it’s generally easier to navigate than trying to search for books on the device.
From the Amazon Website:
- Load the Amazon Website
- Type the name of the book you wish to purchase
- Navigate through the purchase journey until your order has been confirmed
- Enable Wifi on the Kindle device and it will download your new purchase automatically
On the device itself:
- Ensure the Wifi has been enabled on your device
- On the home screen click the cart Icon
- From here you will be able search for books as well as categories
- Find the book you want and click buy (no payment will info will be needed as the device is linked to your Amazon account)
- The book will be download automatically as you’re connected to the wfii
The device is touch screen enabled so feel free to get your grubby fingers all over it! To navigate pages:
- Open up on your books via the home screen
- To navigate to the next page, press lightly on the right hand side of the screen
- The page will flash briefly and as if by magic, you’re on the next page!
- To navigate to the previous page, press lightly on the left hand side of the screen
- Once again, another miracle will be performed in front of your eyes
Charging the device
It’s pretty straightforward to charge the device. Simply plug it in using the USB cable and plug provided. The device can be off or on whilst charging and has a battery status indicator to show you progress. It can take a few hours to charge but if the device is not used too heavily then it will last a month.
So there you have it! You’ve now go the basics which will allow you to enable the wifi, purchase a book and read it! This should be more than enough to get you by whilst relaxing by the pool, reading your favourite novel. Once you’ve mastered these, feel free to dive into the manual where you can learn about adjusting font sizes, cloud storage and using the experimental browser.
You can find the full manual here
I’d love your feedback on this article so I can make it more useful for beginners.
Until next time